How to have the best newborn baby photography session…
I’ve photographed many newborn babies in the studio, and also visited new mummies at home to photograph their new babies… I thought it was about time I wrote a quick blog on how to have the best newborn baby photography session. Many mummies presume that all you have to do is bring along your newborn baby and we can take amazing sleepy, cosy, cute photography for the whole session… Wrong! Newborn baby photography is a completely different kind of photoshoot and takes a very long time… Many of the new babies I have photographed have been in my studio for 2 hours and some for as long as 4 hours. Planning is essential for your photo shoot with your newborn baby. Planning and patience are key. It is also essential that the atmosphere is calm, warm and comfortable for your baby.
So here goes… some top tips on how to have the best newborn baby photography session:-
1) Your newborn photography session should be booked as early as possible. We can pencil in your due date and once your new baby arrives we can arrange a suitable date and time for your session. You may wish to call me to discuss your newborn baby photo shoot during the later stages of your pregnancy and we can have an informal chat about the session.
2) The perfect age to photograph your new baby is between 5-10 day s old. This is the time when your newborn will be sleepy, content and easy to move around. I am patient and will work around your baby with minimal fuss, and of course lots of breaks for cuddles, changing and feeding if necessary. I will not rush your baby photography session. It is important that you feel relaxed and enjoy the experience. A cappuccino and some relaxation is important for mummy, whilst I work my magic..
3) Essential items to bring to your photo shoot include:-
– Spare bottles should your newborn become hungry during the session and require a ‘top up’ feed. However, as previously mentioned, it is important that you feed your baby just before leaving the house.
– Favourite blankets, cuddly toys etc which you may wish to have featured in your photographs. This will personalise your photographs. However, please note I have a large selection of hats, blankets, wraps and props for use during the session.
If you are expecting a new baby and would like to discuss a newborn baby photography photo shoot, please don’t hesitate to contact me on 01455 233224 to discuss the options or to book your session.